LA Beer Week is a magical week full of amazing events. The Kickoff on June 20th is a favorite and a must – frankly it’s one of the best beer events of the year. This year I hope you’ll add another event to your calendar as we celebrate some of the women of Los Angeles craft beer.
There are many leading ladies in our fair city to feature – I have to give it up to Meg Gill of Golden Road, featured just last year in Forbes’ 30 Under 30 and an inspiration for women in the beer industry. For my first LA Beer Week event I feel honored to have four extremely accomplished ladies of craft beer:
- Alex Nowell, brewmaster of Three Weavers Brewing Co
- Devon Randall, formerly of Pizza Port and now heading the upcoming Arts District Brewing
- Lauren O’Neill, Beer Buyer at Mohawk Bend
- Sarah Bennett, beer writer (among other things) for a variety of So Cal publications including Beer Paper LA, LA Weekly and more.
The event is a unique opportunity to ask questions about women’s roles in the craft beer industry and meet and mingle with some very influential and important women behind the Los Angeles craft beer scene. We’ll cover perhaps some familiar topics about working in a male-dominated industry, including: what are the challenges, how do we approach sexism or prejudice (if any), what are the cultural differences from city to city, state to state, and more.
The $35 ticket includes a beer flight (including some very special kegs!) and pizza bites provided by Mohawk Bend. Additional food and drink will be available if you wish to purchase but there will be plenty. We expect to sell out – get your tickets soon!
- Unity: LA Beer Week’s official brew, a refreshing tart saison brewed by LA brewers at Smog City
- Sassy Rye IPA: Collaboration brew by Three Weavers & Devon Randall
- The Apprentice by Societe Brewing Co in San Diego (hard to get this wonderful IPA out of SD!)
- Temptation: Blonde Ale by Russian River Brewing – also a rare find in LA
- If that wasn’t enough – a super special secret beer!